Dozens of dogs dead after eating recalled Sportmix dry food

The pet food recall is widening after the Food and Drug Administration announced that more than two dozen dogs died after eating dry food from the Sportmix brand.

Monday’s statement said the suspect was aflatoxin, a by-product of corn rot Aspergillus flavus Which at high levels can kill pets.

The expanded recall includes a corn-based food made by Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. At one of its factories in Oklahoma.

The FDA said pet food brands listed under the Sportmix, Pro Pac, Splash, Nunn and Sportstrail labels are affected by the recall, adding that more than 70 unconfirmed deaths have been reported related to pets eating these foods.

Pets poisoned by aflatoxin-contaminated food may be sluggish, have digestive problems, or develop jaundice, which appears in canines as a yellow color to the eyes or gums.

However, the US Food and Drug Administration has warned that some dogs may not show any symptoms even with their livers damaged.

The FDA wrote, “Pet owners should stop feeding their pets the recalled products listed below and consult a vet, especially if the pet shows signs of illness,” encouraging consumers who purchased the products to dispose of them safely and clean all containers the food.

“The pet owner must remove the food and ensure that other animals do not have access to the recalled product.”

Midwestern Pet Foods, Inc. on the recall on December 30 and expanded it this week to include all foods containing corn made in a particular factory, so dozens of types of dog and cat foods in excess of hundreds of part numbers are now subject to recall, with a full list of products with corresponding photos of their packaging appearing on the website. company.

The US Food and Drug Administration said it is working with the governments of Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington on this investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *